International Women's Day 2015
'Make It Happen' with InControl Fitness Top Tips
Exercise in any form is empowering to all women… IF you are finding it hard to get motivated, this inspirational video (which has gone viral) should encourage you to get motivated and get empowered to make it happen.
Exercise helps your energy levels, be creative, stay focussed to achieve your successes.
If you are as busy as I am and looking for quick and easy exercises that can be done at work or even at home in a chair, then you just found them. Any of these can be done with or without added weight so they are convenient and progressive, just the way we like them!
Exercise in small burst can and actually has been proven to give the same results and it's more maintainable for you.
The following few work day chair workouts can give you that burst of energy. Many of which don't even require you getting off your butt so you can do them while working at your desk.
HINT: Ladies, you may want to be in trousers for a couple of these exercises and not in an open plan office.
1. Seated Jacks
Jumping jacks are a popular exercise to get the heart pumping but the 'seated jacks' are a nice alternative and mean that you can stay sitting down.
- Sit up tall towards the end of your chair, with your knees bent and brought together in front of you. Your toes should be pointed and just touching the ground. You should also bend your arms and have them out at your sides with your palms facing forwards
- Quickly open your legs out to the side, flexing your feet and putting your arms overhead like you would with a regular jumping jack. Return to the starting position and do 20 repetitions in a row (the quicker, the better!
2. Skater switch
This sitting skater move will burn calories in addition to targeting your core, arms and inner thighs! This is definitely the exercise for you, especially if you’re planning any much needed warm destination vacations.
- Sitting on the edge of your chair again for this move
- Bend your right knee out to the side and extend your left leg to the other side, straight with your toes pointed
- Extend your arms and quickly move forward, as you do so - reach your left arm down to your right foot. As you do this, raise your right arm up behind you and twist your torso
- Switch sides and repeat for 20 reps
3. Ab hold
Another great one for the abs and quite an easy move, once you get the hang of it.
- Sit up straight on the edge of your chair, placing your hands either side of you for support
- Move your feet out on the floor and push your butt off the chair as high as you can manage, with your back straight
- Hold for 10 seconds before lowering. Rest and repeat a few more times.
4. Chair running
Maybe you aren't REALLY running. You’re sitting, but it still gives your body a metabolism boost, burns calories and helps tone, so who’s complaining?
- Sit down towards the end of your chair with your legs extended and your arms bent to your sides
- Lean backwards until your shoulder blades touch the back of the chair
- Lift your legs slightly and bring your right knee into your chest, turning your left shoulder in towards that knee and pulling your right elbow back
- Repeat 30 times, ensuring that you alternate sides
5. Chair twists
This movement burns calories and also helps to give the abs and oblique’s definition over time.
- Sit up straight on the edge of your chair, placing your feet on the floor shoulder width apart and your arms out to the side, parallel to the ground
- Move your arms and body to the left side in a gentle twist movement, before doing the same on the other side for 20 reps each